Monday, May 24, 2010

End of the Year Poem

The end of the school year is fast approaching!  It's time to wrap up another year of learning and, perhaps, it's the end to your school garden project.

The following end of the year poem can be included with a small gardening gift to students, such as a packet of seeds, so that students can continue their school garden project at home over the summer. 

The poem can also perfectly compliment the students' container gardens, which they can take home with them over the summer.

Or, simply read it to your students as you wrap up the school year.


In 2009 at the beginning of September,
You came into my class, how well I remember.

Some of you were smiling and giggling a lot,
Some were very quiet and a few tears I did spot.

You came here to learn, to be taught how to read,
You were then very much like a tiny new seed.

You were all in my garden just waiting to grow,
So this gardener got busy with her rake and her hoe.

I fed you the water and let in the sun,
You took in the soil, and we had only begun.

Each day as I worked in this garden of mine,
I saw you all growing so strong and so fine.

Then finally one day I took a good look,
And saw each of my plants reading a book.

It was obvious then that you had worked too
Soaking up all the food I had given to you.

But although you have blossomed, you still need to grow,
So I'll pass you on now to another gardener I know.

She too has a rake and hoe she can use,
And plenty of food from which you can choose.

I hope that you will keep your roots open wide,
Take in all her food and keep it inside.

Yes, a gardener can work all night and all day,
But the plant must be willing to take in each ray.

So work very hard in your garden each year
Do the best you can and you'll have nothing to fear.

Grow strong and tall, reach up for the sun,
Stay as nice as you are and have lots of fun.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment