This easy activity allows you to "plant" a garden in your classroom and teach kids about various fruits and veggies.
- Clip art of fruits and vegetables on white paper for students to color
- Coloring materials (markers, paint, crayons, etc.)
- Craft sticks
- Container and potting soil or styrofoam to create "garden plot"
- Find clip art of fruits and vegetables for students to color
- Print pictures on white paper
- Give each child one or several images of fruits or vegetables.
- Have the children identify the type of fruit/veggie and color it the appropriate color.
- Have children cut out the pictures and glue them to the craft sticks.
- Place the potting soil or styrofoam into the container.
- Have students "plant" their garden by placing their craft sticks into your "garden plot"
- Continue to have children identify the fruits/veggies in their garden.
- Have children use the fruits and vegetables from their garden as puppets.
- Have children create skits or plays with the puppets.
- Read a garden story and have children hold up their fruit/veggie when it is mentioned in the story.
- Use the pictures of the fruits and vegetables to help plan your school garden. Have students decide where each one should go and place it into the "garden plot" accordingly.