- Below is a list of tips and suggestions for gardening with children. This list is taken from D. Landreth Seed Co.
Visit their website for more information, including types of seeds and plants that work well for children's gardens.
- Always have something happening in the garden. Start with radishes and end with pumpkins.
- Choose easy to grow vegetables and flowers. Nothing succeeds like success.
- Choose each variety because there is something interesting about it, i.e. unusual size, unusual color, unusual shape.
- Choose vegetables and flowers with a story.
- Try not to plant mixes of colors. Groupings of specific colors are visually more intriguing to children.
- Tend the garden on a schedule, for example, every Saturday morning, every Sunday afternoon, or each Wednesday at 4: 00 PM.
- Teach children to weed by making weeding a fun game.
- Always let children do the watering--they love playing with the hose.
- Teach children proper garden preparation in the spring.
- Teach children to clean up the garden in the fall and use this as a time to plant flower bulbs and garlic and onion sets.
Copyright 2008 by The D. Landreth Seed Co., 60 East High Street, New Freedom, PA 17349, 800-654-2407. http://www.landrethseeds.com/.